Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A surprise


So here I am, blogging again, when I stopped blogging a year ago I said that’s it unless I have any more adventures in Kenya. I’m back and the adventures are right around the corner. I have discussed what’s going on with some of you but I am sure many of you have no clue so I will start at the beginning.

While in Kenya last year, the thoughts of returning were frequently on my mind. In conversation with experienced missionaries I was given the counsel to go home settle back into North American life and then make my decision. So last year when I came home I bought a car, went back to work full-time and rented an apartment. I spent time getting used to the comforts of my Canadian life. However I was not content.  I knew there was something more.  I spent time in prayer, and discussion with friends and family. Through this I came to the conclusion that God was calling me back to Kenya to serve for two years.

With the decision made, it was time to get to work. I applied to mission organizations; it took 3 applications before I could find an appropriate sending agency. I am working with World Medical Mission an arm of Samaritan’s Purse. Once an agency was found it was time to move forward however there were concerns about a licence for me to practice Respiratory Therapy in Kenya. A licence is necessary to get a work visa (last time I was a tourist), as well as keep Tenwek hospital on the level. Finding a licencing body was not easy as Respiratory Therapists don’t exist in Kenya. Through prayers and foot work of my Tenwek contacts an application was made to the Kenya Society of Physiotherapists to be a Cardio-respiratory physiotherapist. We are hoping that this is a close enough match to a respiratory therapist. Documents were sent to them and they were in agreement so only one stage in the application is left – the exam which I write in three weeks in Kenya

Yup, a surprise, I received the phone call last week that the exam had been scheduled and off to Kenya I must go. So time off work was granted (Thanks so much to my helpful manager) and flights are booked April 12.  I take off for a fifteen day whirlwind trip to Kenya. This trip will include the exam (over two days), an interview, meetings and a visit to Tenwek hospital.

I am very excited about this trip and even more excited that I am making progress towards the goal of being on Kenyan soil for two years starting January 2013. I ask for your prayers that the travel and the exam will go well and that I will be able to build a relationship with the Kenya Society of Physiotherapists, opening doors for Respiratory Therapy to grow in Kenya.

I will try to keep you all updated through this blog.  The next few weeks will be a whirlwind of preparation and it is quite possible that my next post will take place outside of Canada.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Annette. All the best to the exam, and the preparations. many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So excited for you Annette. Your dream is coming true! I'll keep you in my daily prayers. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete